With the prevalence of diabetes rising, Michelle is an advocate for patients in Langdon, Chestermere and Strathmore.
She is a Registered Nurse and Certified Diabetes Educator working directly in physician offices. Doctors refer patients with diabetes to see her for one-on-one education to support patients with:
- managing blood sugars to manage diabetes and prevent complications.
- administering their insulin or other injectable medications
- knowledge of how their medications work
- support with healthy lifestyle changes, including healthy eating and setting goals for activity
Since diabetes is a long-term condition requiring the patient’s day-to-day self-care, she helps by:
- empowering patients to essentially learn to self-manage their diabetes
- collaborating with physicians and other interprofessional team members for patient care
- acting as an advocate for the patient with their physician
Michelle teaches about the importance of nutrition, weight management, monitoring, medication, regular doctor visits, yearly eye and foot exams – all of which are so important in preventing complications.
In addition to offering one-on-one diabetes education, Michelle also offers education and support for those newly diagnosed as well as for their family members.
In a region where one in three people have been diagnosed with diabetes, Michelle is helping our communities’ diabetics achieve better health.